Friday, December 10, 2010

Introducing Taylor Walker


Hey everyone! My name is Taylor Walker, I’m from California, and I skate for Miami University’s senior varsity synchronized skating team. I am a sophomore at Miami, majoring in anthropology. I initially came to college with an undecided major. I had taken an introductory anthropology class in my first semester of freshmen year, and at first thought nothing of it. Toward the end of last year I randomly researched anthropology as a major and thought to myself, “You know what, Taylor, I think this sounds like you!” And on a whim I decided that was the direction my academic life would take!

I began skating when I was 5 years old. As the story goes, I was sitting on the floor watching TV, and it just so happened that a skating show was on. Kristi Yamaguchi was performing, and I instantly fell in love. I called my mom into the room and asked timidly, “Can I do that?” Surprised, she responded with a “Sure” and walked away. About two seconds later, I called her back in and asked, “Can I have a dress just like that?” So it was the sparkle and shimmer that initially drew me in to the sport that now consumes my life...but either way I’m glad it did.

I started synchro about a year after I started skating. For years I balanced both singles and synchro until my junior year of high school, when I decided to turn my focus mainly to the team. In total, I’ve been on four teams; however, the one I attribute most of my life lessons to is the ICE'Kateers, with whom I skated for nine years. Skating with the ICE'Kateers, I developed lifelong friendships and memories that will never fade. The time I spent on this team will forever be referred to as “the good old days.”

Being a part of Team USA provided some pretty great memories, though none of them were really specific moments in time that I can label as “the best.” I would have to say my first experience skating for Team USA was probably the most memorable. We went to Miskolc, Hungary, and it was my first time ever traveling abroad, so everything was new and exciting for me. We took pictures with every sign we saw that wasn’t in English. And we harassed our translators every five minutes to help us say something else in Hungarian. The entire experience--from the food to the people to stepping onto the ice knowing I was skating for my country--was one that I will never forget.


My life outside skating is also a great deal of fun. I spend a lot of time with the friends I've made here at Miami. I was fortunate enough to find a group of friends that loves the outdoors as much as I do. My friend and I created Mighty Adventure Monday. Every Monday we take a “study break” to adventure somewhere we’ve never been before! I am also involved with the campus organization known as Cru, or Campus Crusade for Christ. Last year I was very blessed to have been placed in a room with two girls who were pursuing a relationship with God. They told me what it was all about, and I decided to go with them one Thursday night to a Cru meeting. Since then, my life has changed for the better. I’ve made the decision to give every aspect of my life to God, including skating.

And now the part you’ve been waiting for, my favorites!

Top five most played songs on my iPod right now: I don’t trust this feature on my iPod...I think its lying to me.
Favorite musicians/bands: The Beatles, Mumford & Sons, The Killers, Ingrid Michaelson, Florence + The Machine and many many more!
Favorite movies: Parent Trap, Breakfast at Tiffany’s
Favorite books: Harry Potter
Favorite TV shows: SpongeBob, Gilmore Girls
Favorite vacation spot: I imagine it would be somewhere with lots of open space and no buildings, cars or noises that show proof of human existence
Favorite food: I LOVE Mexican food!
Favorite quote: “I sound my barbaric yawp over the rooftops of the world” --Walt Whitman

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading this Taylor - just like I love watching you skate.

    Mrs. Arnold

    ReplyDelete