Monday, November 28, 2011

Introducing Emmeline Weinert



Hi, my name is Emmy and I am a member of California Gold senior. I am currently a sophomore at Loyola Marymount University and am a Dance and Political Science double major.

A few years after beginning skating in basic skills classes, I joined the Hockettes preliminary team when I was in the third grade. I have two older sisters and both were Hockettes before me, which inspired me to try out for the team. I ended up skating with the Hockettes for 10 seasons (5 of those spent cross-skating) and so my parents were Hockette parents for a total of 16 consecutive years.

All throughout my skating career I have juggled dance along with my team commitments and on several occasions told myself I would choose one or the other so that I could focus on it and become truly proficient. When heading off to college I decided that it would be cruel to make myself pick just one and decided I would just have to find a way to do both. That was how I came to skate for California Gold. California Gold draws skaters from all over the greater Los Angeles area and I knew that there I could find dance. At Loyola Marymount I am able to major in Dance as well as skate on a strong and challenging senior team.

My favorite Team USA memory is from the first time I represented the United States overseas in Milan, Italy, my first year on Hockettes junior (06-07). That first experience put me in awe of the honor that had been bestowed on me to represent my country. I was overwhelmed with the knowledge that few others get to experience the pride that I was experiencing. I still get that feeling every time I compete overseas and wear my Team USA jacket.


(Hockettes Junior in Milan, Italy after a third place finish, 2007)

When I’m not on the ice you will usually find me dancing or studying. I don't live the typical college life, going to bed before 10:00 p.m. most nights, so that I can wake up at 3:30 a.m. for practice, but wouldn't trade my life for the world. I love to hang out with my friends and we can often be found playing Disney Charades, arguing about the definition of magic or basically participating in any other nerdy pursuit. I am very interested in politics and am involved in several different political organizations on campus. I believe that one of the best forms of service is to actively engage in political dialogue and action, to make sure that institutions reflect what we care about. My constant goal is insure that my peers and I are becoming good and informed citizens of the world community. I also work part time at a private school here in Los Angeles, doing all manner of office work.


(Look! Its me and the President. Its a little hard to find me so I circled it....)



Favorite sports figure: Muhammad Ali

Favorite sports team: The Detroit Tigers!

Favorite cities: My parent's home town of Detroit and my own hometown Ann Arbor.

Favorite musician/band: I am a big lover of John Legend.

Favorite movie: I guess I'm a fan of trilogies, Star Wars, the Matrix and Lord of the Rings

Favorite books: Jane Eyre and Harry Potter

Favorite TV show: The West Wing

Favorite vacation spot: Green Gables; a cabin in the woods of northern Michigan that has been in my family for several generations.

Favorite place I’ve traveled for skating: Berlin, Germany

Favorite program I’ve ever skated: I have two, a Junior short program to “Pump It” by the Black Eyed Peas (06-07) and senior long program to “Robin Hood” (10-11)

Favorite quote: “There is no them, only facets of us.” -John Green


No comments:

Post a Comment