Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Introducing Katilyn Peterson



Hey guys! My name is Katilyn Peterson. I am a member of the Crystallettes senior team. I am currently a junior at the University of Michigan Dearborn and am majoring in early childhood education with a minor in language arts and science.

My whole family has been involved in figure skating. My mom and aunt are coaches of the senior team and I also have cousins involved in the Crystallette program. My grandma even plays music at U.S. Figure Skating events. I started skating when I was two years old and I joined the Crystallettes preliminary team when I was five. I have competed at the preliminary, juvenile, intermediate, novice, and senior synchronized skating levels. This is my seventh year on the senior team and my third year as captain. The Dearborn Figure Skating Club has an award named for a former coach, Tracey Venda. This award is for a member of the senior team who is a role model for the younger skaters, gives back to the synchronized program and is a leader. I have had the great honor of earning the Tracey Venda award twice and I am the first person to do so. Skating has always been a major part of my life. I love sharing my wonderful skating memories with my family.

This is my third year coaching singles and synchronized skating teams for the Dearborn Figure Skating Club. I enjoy helping younger skaters realize their dreams. I hope to inspire younger skaters to set goals and work hard to achieve them.Skating has taken me to the most wonderful places and I have met amazing people. I have made everlasting friendships due to synchronized skating. Performing on the ice with my team is an incredible feeling. Nothing can beat that adrenaline rush of excitement that you feel when you step onto that ice and I love sharing it with the members of my team. I hope my students also enjoy and experience the same opportunities that synchronized skating has given to me.

My favorite Team USA/skating memory would definitely have to be making the 2010 World Team. The feeling of making the world team is indescribable. There was so much joy, excitement, relief, and pride in what we had accomplished. Our hard work and determination had paid off and we had completed our goal of the season. The 2010 World Championships were held in Colorado Springs, Colo. Having the opportunity to compete against the top teams in the world, in our home country, was a very honorable experience. The sound of the crowd when we took the ice to compete was unforgettable! I still remember how hard my heart was pumping and the exhilaration that had built up inside of me. We ended up placing ninth in the world. The experience of making it to worlds and competing at the biggest competition of the season is something that I will cherish forever. I am thankful for everything U.S. Figure Skating, our club, and community did for us during our trip to the 2010 World Championships.The experience will never be forgotten.

When I am not on the ice, I am usually studying and keeping up with my classes. The endless hours of homework consumes most of my down time. If I am not skating or coaching, I am usually studying, helping my family, or hanging out with my friends. During the summer months, I love to go with my family to our cottage up north.We jet ski, ride the quad runner, shop, catch fish, read books and lay out in the sun. I have a very busy schedule between skating, coaching, and school but I wouldn’t change it for anything in the world.

Here are some of my favorite things:

Favorite sports figure: Michelle Kwan

Favorite sports team: Crystallettes

Favorite cities: Cabo, Paris, and San Diego.

Top five most played songs on my IPod right now: 1) “Good to you” by Marianas Trench, 2) “Call Me in the Morning” by Taking Back Sunday, 3) “Just a Kiss” by Lady Antebellum, 4) “Ashamed” by Jamestown Story, and 5) “Without you” by Usher.

Favorite musician/band: Skillet

Favorite movie: Pocahontas

Favorite books: Twilight Saga

Favorite TV show: Modern Family

Favorite magazines: Seventeen

Favorite vacation spot: Cabo, Mexico

Favorite food: Grilled cheese

Favorite place I’ve traveled for skating: Maine

Favorite program I’ve ever skated: This year’s short program to Footloose by Kenny Loggins.

Favorite quote: “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind”. (Dr. Seuss)

No comments:

Post a Comment