Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Introducing Annaleigh Yahata

Hi! My name is Annaleigh Yahata, and I am a member of the California Gold senior team. I am a senior at Esperanza High School and plan to attend college next fall majoring in business administration or urban studies.

I first started skating when I was 9 years old. I started out in Saturday group lessons until I saw a synchronized skating team practicing. I was captivated by the girls my age, skating in circles, attached to one another and doing kick lines down the ice.

"That's what I want to do!" I told my mom.

The next thing you know, I was trying out for the synchro team in my rental skates and jeans! I skated on the ICE 'Kateers for six years before I started skating with California Gold. In addition to synchro, I continued to skate singles and competed at regionals at the intermediate level. However, synchro has always been my passion, and I love everything about it: teammates, traveling, running programs until you feel like you're going to pass out and the exhilaration of competing and performing.

My favorite Team USA memory happened in France this past year. We had limited time to see the city, so we raced from one place to the next. It was fascinating to see historic sites from the stained glass of Cathedrale Notre Dame to the panoramic view of Sacre Coeur. At the Musee d'Orsay, we found the most beautiful ballet room and struck a pose. Being in such a beautiful and historic city with the best friends a girl could have was definitely one of my best days.

When I'm not on the ice, I love dancing. I have been dancing since I was 3 years old and have never stopped loving it. My favorite genre of dance is contemporary since it is open for interpretation and allows the dancer to get lost in the movement. In my spare time, I like creating cupcakes. Many of the cupcake decorating ideas start from cupcake decorating books given to me as gifts from those calling me "the cupcake girl." I volunteer at my church working with children at summer school and service events. I also love taking pictures and scrapbooking. Right now, I have four scrapbooks and am guilty of having taken more than 5,000 photos in 2010 alone.

Here are some of my favorites:

Favorite sports team: Los Angeles LAKERS!! Woot woot!
Favorite cities: San Francisco and Santorini, Greece
Favorite musician/band: Florence + The Machine
Favorite movie: Miss Congeniality
Favorite books: Harry Potter
Favorite TV show: I can't decide! It's between Gilmore Girls and White Collar.
Favorite vacation spot: Greece
Favorite food: This is probably a question I will never be able to answer, but right now it's clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl.
Favorite place I’ve traveled for skating: Rouen, France
Favorite quote: "All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt." - Charles M. Schulz

No comments:

Post a Comment