Monday, November 22, 2010

Introducing Sarah Arnold


Hi, Everyone! My name is Sarah Arnold, and I am from Milwaukee, Wis. I am a member of Miami University’s senior varsity synchronized skating team. I am a junior communications major with a 2D media studies (photography) minor. My freshman year I thought I wanted to study speech pathology, but then I realized that wasn’t where my passion lied. I searched a little more through the journalism, studio art and interactive media studies majors. I discovered a communications major with possibilities in advertising, public relations, layout and design was the better choice for me.

My favorite Team USA moment has to be competing in Prague, Czech Republic, in January of my freshmen year. It was not only my first international competition with Miami but my first-ever Team USA competition. Being the skater who finds it as important to have my camera strapped around my neck as it is to have my skates in my bag, I did my best to capture every monumental photograph of the competition. I remember sitting in the stands with the junior team and the Colonials cheering on our senior team in the short program. I went to the bottom of the stands and looked up at more than 50 skaters and parents holding American flags and wearing Team USA coats. I snapped pictures from left to right, making the experience so surreal. Between cheering on the senior team and photographing in the stands, and skating the competition that weekend, I had such an incredible experience that I will never forget.

When I’m not skating, I’m usually doing homework, taking pictures of other various events on campus, editing pictures with Photoshop, cooking or having friends over for dinner. Growing up with multiple food allergies, I’ve learned to love cooking and share recipes with friends and family. In the summer, I enjoy swimming, golfing, running, taking pilates classes and lying in the sun soaking up a golden tan. I’ve also put together promotional advertising posters for the Wisconsin FSC, Wisconsin Edge, created memory photo books of Miami’s seasons, posters, collages, you name it.

My third season as a Redhawk is going really well. It’s always fast paced, exciting and rewarding. All our teams have worked incredibly hard these past 12 weeks, preparing for hockey game exhibitions, parents’ weekend exhibition and the Dr. Richard Porter Classic. I’m very excited to compete our programs in just a few weeks!

See you all at the Ann Arbor ice cube!

Sarah


Fun Facts

Favorite skater: Tessa Virtue
Favorite books: Firefly Lane
Favorite TV show: Friends
Favorite place I’ve traveled for skating: Neuchatel, Switzerland
Favorite foods: Coffee, fruit, seafood
Favorite quotes: "Good things take time, as they should. We shouldn't expect good things to happen overnight. Actually getting something too easily or too soon can cheapen the outcome." - John Wooden
"Slow down and enjoy it all."

No comments:

Post a Comment